INGREDIENTS – makes 12
280 grams of Gluten-free self raising flour (I use organ)
2 tbsp Cocoa powder
170 grams coconut sugar
¼ tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking powder
120ml Milk (use soy milk for dairy free option)
120ml Buttermilk (use soy milk for dairy free option)
120 ml rice bran oil
3 tbsp rice malt syrup
1 tsp Vanilla essence
3 tsp beetroot powder or beetroot juice
450 grams good quality dark dairy-free chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 x 270ml can coconut milk (not lite varieties)
1 tsp vanilla
• Pre heat your oven to 180ºc.
• Sift the flour, cocoa, sugar and salt in to a bowl and make a well in the centre.
• Mix the bicarbonate of soda with a tbsp of the milk and pour in to the well.
• Add the rest of the milk along with the buttermilk, oil, golden syrup, vanilla essence and beetroot powder or juice and beat together to make a batter.
• Place in greased muffin tins or cupcake holders.
• Cook for approx 12 – 14 minutes, or until skewer comes out clean.
• When cooked, remove cupcakes from the oven and allow to cool.
• To make coconut ganache heat the coconut milk in a small saucepan until bubbles just begin to appear around the edges.
• Remove from heat and add in dark chocolate.
• let stand without stirring for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, stir the chocolate-coconut milk mixture until glossy and smooth
• Add the vanilla extract and stir until incorporated. Use warm or slightly cooled.